History of Erbcc
We were founded in 1978, our first chairperson was Olga Trafford until 1982.
Our emblem is the biplane which represents the achievements of Amy Johnson CBE, the pioneering English aviatrix, who was born and educated in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
After graduating from the University of Sheffield with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics she was introduced to flying as a hobby, gaining a pilot’s “A” Licence, No. 1979, on July 1929. In that same year, she became the first British woman to obtain a ground engineer’s “C” licence
Johnson achieved worldwide recognition when, in 1930, she became the first woman pilot, or in the language of the time, “aviatrix”, to fly solo from England to Australia. Flying G-AAAH, the first of two aircraft she named “Jason”, she left Croydon, south of London, on 5 May of that year and landed in Darwin, Northern Territory, on 24 May after flying 11,000 miles (18, 000 km). This aircraft can still be seen in the Science Museum in London. She received the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE in recognition of this achievement, and was also honoured with the No. 1 civil pilot’s licence under Australia’s 1921 Air Navigation Regulations.
In July 1931, Johnson and her co-pilot Jack Humphreys, became the first pilots to fly from London to Moscow in one day, completing the 1,760 miles (2,830 km) journey in approximately 21 hours. From there, they continued across Siberia and on to Tokyo, setting a record time for flying from Britain to Japan. The flight was completed in G-AAZV de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth, named “Jason II”.
Other personal items of Amy Johnson’s can be seen on permanent display at Sewerby Hall, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. This collection contains over 130 objects and was donated by the Johnson family in 1958 – Wikipedia.